Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving from Calgary!

Today is Canada's Thanksgiving.  It feels really weird to celebrate Thanksgiving in October but I am not going to complain about having another excuse to eat turkey, stuffing, apple sauce, cranberry, corn, and pie!  Matt and I found a neat place that offers Thanksgiving take-out, so we are going to have nice Thanksgiving dinner in our hotel room with Penny tonight!

We have made many discoveries in the last week about things that are interesting about Canada.

First, they have different wildlife than we do.  Black squirrels, magpies, and giant rabbits to name a few.  This rabbit was about the size of a cat that we saw walking home from dinner the other night...hard to tell from the picture, though.


Our second discovery has been Tim Hortons.  It's a breakfast place that Canadians are crazy about and I can see why!  They have really good breakfast sandwiches and bagels....so of course I am happy that I found a place with bagels.  We also found a few nice dinner places (Melrose Cafe, Fiore Cantina, and Brewsters).

Another discovery has been that it is much colder here than Houston!  This one was obvious but we did not plan very well with our clothing.  All of our winter clothes and coats are still on the air shipment which has arrived here but we cannot have it delivered until we have a place with more room.  So, Matt and I had to go shopping for some warmer clothes, and coats.  I'm not complaining, though...


We also dabbled a bit in what Calgary has to offer as far as drinks are concerned.  Matt tried a Canadian beer and I tried a Canadian blueberry cider.  Matt was happy with his beer, but the cider tasted more like alcoholic watered-down cool-aide.  Not a huge fan....



Last night, Matt and I played Farkel for a while (thanks, Dusty, Jeff, and Mila!)...It's a been a fun adventure so far, and I am definitely enjoying it, but it does remind us that we miss our friends and family, and that we can't just call someone up to hang out.  So, plan your trips to Calgary ASAP...




1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking about planning my trip in April for your Birthday...

    ReplyDelete