Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Top 10 Reasons You Know You're Not in the US

10.  If you order fries, they are most likely going to come "poudine" style (covered in cheese curds and brown gravy).

9.  You and everyone around you love Tim Horton's, and fast food restaurants do not have dollar menus, they have $1.99 menus.

8.  You take your shoes off whenever you go into anyone's house.

7.  Canned refried beans are not 89 cents each, they are two for $7 and a bag of shredded cheese is $8.

6.  A receipt is not called a receipt, it is a "till," and you pay for your "till" at a restaurant with a credit machine brought to your table, and you tip the waiter or waitress right in front of them...

5.  You are charged a fee for everything (banks, recycling...everything)!

4.  You cannot get a one dollar bill anywhere, they don't exist.

3.  Someone asks you to donate a "loonie" or "toonie" (one or two dollar coin).

2.  Everything you buy is in English and French.

1.  You try to order a half of a pound of American Cheese from the deli and they ask you two questions:  "What kind of cheese is American?"  and "How many grams would you like?"!!!

#1 was the one that really hit home for me...

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I went to Australia, I went to a subway for lunch. They asked me what kind of cheese I wanted and I said "American". The had no idea, and I pointed to the one that looked similar. They said "oh!! English cheese!"...Also, they had the credit machines they brought to your table too... I wonder if in Canada, they waiters arent being paid $2, so tipping isnt such a big deal?

    ReplyDelete