Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Loss of a Legend

This blog entry has nothing to do with Canada, or our adventures here, but I felt the need to give a shout out to JoePa.


Sunday, legendary Penn State football coach, Joe Paterno, passed away at age 85.  Though he is known mostly for his football contributions, he was much more to the university than a coach.  He gave so much of himself to the school, donating his money and time to make it a better place.  He believed firmly in "education first" and took pride in the fact that PSU's football program had one of the highest GPA averages in the country.  He cared personally about his players and knew that his players were there for more than just football, they were there to get an education and better their lives.  He believed in the value of the team over the individual.  One of his greatest accomplishments is that he is the winningest coach in Division I NCAA football, as head coach at Penn State for 46 years with 409 wins.


I am sad to say that I never got the chance to personally meet JoePa, but I feel like I knew him.  He was head coach when my mom and dad went to school there, and he was still the coach when my brother and I went there.  It was a unique and special thing about PSU that my family shared.  I admire Joe for the things that he tried to instill in his players and all of the students at Penn State.  I will remember his glasses, his rolled up pants, his high-pitched voice, and his love of PSU.  I won't forget all of the amazing things that he has done for the university and I know that Penn State is a better place because he was there.  


To the people who question what kind of person Joe Paterno was, I say to read his quote outside of Beaver Stadium next to his statue:  "They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone.  I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach."  He obviously cared not only about his football players, but also everyone who was, is and will be connected to the university.  I hope that in the years to come, people will remember and recognize JoePa for the many wonderful things that he did for PSU over his 62 years there, rather than the one mistake that people believe he made.


PSU will miss you, JoePa.  We are....because you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment